Portugal: Last News

Health Minister concerned over rise in Covid cases

Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly has expressed concern over the rise in cases of Covid-19 and urged people over 65 and those who are immunosuppressed, to avail of their second booster.

Speaking as he arrived for this morning's Cabinet meeting, the minister said there had been a threefold increase in hospital cases in recent weeks.

He said that of those in hospital aged over 65, "quite a bit less" have availed of the second Covid-19 booster vaccine.

He also said that seven in every ten Covid patients in hospital are aged over 65.

Mr Donnelly appealed to people to adhere to public health advice, which still recommends the use of face coverings on public transport and healthcare settings.

He said that there was currently no advice to reintroduce mandatory face coverings and that Ireland was in a "living with Covid phase", however, he added that the situation could change.

He said that it was important to protect hospital services, which could be affected by Covid outbreaks.

Minister Donnelly said it was not clear if Ireland was approaching the peak of this current wave of cases or how high it would go.

He said that Government was monitoring the situation in other country's experiencing a Covid-19 wave, such as Portugal.

Latest coronavirus stories

As of 8am, there were 626 people in hospital with Covid-19, an increase of 20 on the same time yesterday.

Of these, 23 people are in intensive care units with the virus.

Health
www.rte.iewww.rte.ie

Related News

World just as vulnerable to future pandemics after COVID: WHO panel - globalnews.ca - Spain - New Zealand - Portugal - county Geneva - county Johnson - Liberia
globalnews.ca
76%
332
World just as vulnerable to future pandemics after COVID: WHO panel
COVID-19 emerged in 2019, and may actually be in a worse place given the economic toll, according to a review panel set up to evaluate the global response.A lack of progress on reforms such as World Health Organization funding and international health regulations means the world is as vulnerable as ever, the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response said in its report. Monkeypox cases are now suspected in U.K., Spain, Portugal — here’s what you need to know The report authors, led by former New Zealand prime minister Helen Clark and former president of Liberia Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, acknowledged some progress, but said the process wasgoing far too slowly.“We have right now the very same tools and the same system that existed in December 2019 to respond to a pandemic threat.And those tools just weren’t good enough,” Clark told reporters.“If there were a new pandemic threat this year, next year, or the year after at least, we will be largely in the same place… maybe worse, given the tight fiscal space of many, if not most, countries right now.”Wednesday’s report from the body set up by the World Health Organization comes ahead of next week’s World Health Assembly in Geneva, the WHO’s annual decision-making forum, which is expected to address some of the issues raised.While the body welcomed some steps forward, including moves to establish a separate global health security fund within the World Bank, it warned that global interest was waning and the years it will take to set up other instruments – including a potential pandemic treaty, an international agreement to improve preparedness – were too long.The panel called for a high-level meeting at the U.N.
Madeleine McCann: Portuguese prosecutors identify suspect in probe of missing girl - fox29.com - Germany - Britain - city London - Portugal
fox29.com
51%
405
Madeleine McCann: Portuguese prosecutors identify suspect in probe of missing girl
Christian Brueckner (Getty Images); Madeleine McCann (Handout) via FOX News Portuguese prosecutors said Thursday a man had been formally identified as a suspect in the disappearance of 3-year-old Madeleine McCann, who vanished from her bed during a family vacation to the country nearly 15 years ago. MADELEINE MCCANN SUSPECT BREAKS SILENCE TO SLAM INVESTIGATIONProsecutors in Faro, Algarve's main city, did not publicly name the man but said they were acting on a request by German authorities and in coordination with British investigators. It was the first time prosecutors had identified a suspect in the case since initially accusing Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, who were later cleared.The British family was on vacation in the Algarve region of southern Portugal when Madeleine was stolen from her bed in a ground-floor apartment on May 3, 2007, just feet from her sleeping twin siblings, Sean and Amelie.JOSH DUGGAR'S PARENTS, JIM BOB AND MICHELLE DUGGAR, SPEAK OUT AFTER SON'S ARREST FOR CHILD PORNOGRAPHYHer parents had been dining with friends about 200 feet away in a seaside resort in Praia da Luz but had checked on the children periodically.FILE: Kate and Gerry McCann hold an age-progressed police image of their daughter during a news conference to mark the 5th anniversary of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, on May 2, 2012 in London, England. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images) The major development in the case came after German police said in June 2020 that convicted child abuser and drug dealer Christian Brueckner had likely killed Madeleine.
DMCA